Club News

MATCH REPORT Hibernian 3-0 Ross County

Ross County fell to a 3-0 loss in the capital, as hosts Hibernian claimed their first win over the Staggies this season. Two goals in the first half and a third late in the second made sure the points stayed at Easter Road.


It took the hosts just 6 minutes to go ahead. Scott Allan played an inch-perfect ball over the head of Coll Donaldson that saw Marc McNulty race in behind the defender and slot the ball past the on-rushing County goalkeeper Nathan Baxter.


The Staggies almost equalised 10 minutes later through neat link-up play between Lee Erwin and Iain Vigurs. Vigurs passing in to Erwin who sent a reverse chip over the Hibs defender where Vigurs took a touch before hammering the ball in to goalkeeper Marciano. The ball cleared for a County corner.


Just minutes later and Liam Fontaine would send in a perfect cross for Billy McKay who was at the back post but as he took his touch to set himself, Paul Hanlon nicked the ball from McKay’s feet and sending the ball out for another Staggies corner.


McKay would again find himself in a good position just after the half hour. Harry Paton driving to the by-line on the right hand side then cutting back to McKay at the near post but his strike was deflected wide of goal. Referee Stephen McLean giving a goal kick to the bemusement of the fans in attendance.


Just 4 minutes before the interval and the hosts would double their lead. A Newell corner was sent towards the penalty spot where Christian Doidge was found unmarked and he cushioned a header towards the back post that sneaked in beyond Baxter.


With an hour gone the Staggies had a good chance to get back in to the game. Some neat passing in the midfield saw Sean Kelly released on the left hand side and he sent in a great cross but unfortunately there were no takers in the box to challenge Marciano with a finish.


As the game wore on the Staggies saw further chances come their way. Josh Mullin sending in two good crosses, well defended by the home side. This was followed by a good cross from Liam Fontaine that picked out Coll Donaldson at the near post, Donaldson sending his header wide of target.


On 81 minutes, substitute Oli Shaw had the best chance of the match for the Staggies. A long ball from Baxter went sailing over the Hibs back line where Shaw was lively to run on to the ball. With Marciano coming off his line it was a 50/50 to who would get there first. Shaw managed to get contact to the ball but it cannoned off the midriff of the Hibs stopper denying Shaw a goal on his return to Easter Road.


Just two minutes later and a bitter pill would be handed to County. Marcus Fraser slid to block a cross in the box, the ball coming off his hand with the referee pointing straight to the spot. Baxter did well to save McNulty’s effort from the spot, guessing to go to his left and pushing the ball round the post. From the resulting corner Hibs defender Jackson would be found at the back post to nod the ball in to the back of the net.


A difficult night for Ross County who now go on to host St Johnstone at the Global Energy Stadium on Saturday.

More News