Club News

MATCH REPORT Kilmarnock 3-1 Ross County

The Staggies left 3 Premiership points in Ayrshire after a strong second half comeback from Kilmarnock at Rugby Park. Iain Vigurs gave County a half time lead but a brace from Eamonn Brophy and a late header from Kabamba sealed the points for Alex Dyer’s team.

The home side started relatively sharper. Eamonn Brophy managed to get a shot goalwards but Staggies keeper Baxter was equal to the shot and managed to pull off a good save.

A buoyant Rugby Park crowd would then get on the back of referee Willie Collum after only 15 minutes. Striker Kabamba one of 3 players falling to the deck, Collum waving away the ambitious cries from the crowd for a spot kick.

The game would see its first goal soon after. A cross ball cleared to the edge of the Killie box where Iain Vigurs was laying in wait. Vigurs managed to hammer home the half volley to the left of the goal and beyond the outstretched Branescu.

Ten minutes after the interval and the home side would level. Eamonn Brophy picked up the ball on the left hand side and cut in. As he was weighing up the shot he took a further touch before hammering the ball beyond Baxter from the edge of the box.

Just moments later and controversy would come along. Chris Burke who was in an offside position received the ball and as he made his was towards goal was adjudged to have been fouled by referee Collum giving the home side a spot kick. Brophy stepped up and sent Baxter the wrong way and he slid his effort in to the bottom right hand corner to give the home side the lead.

County were presented with a good chance shortly after. Josh Mullin picked up the ball on the edge of the box but his effort headed for the top left hand corner forced a good save from Branescu who managed to hold on to the effort.

With just under 10 minutes to go it looked like the Staggies could level the game. Lee Erwin managed to create a yard of space for himself inside the box but as it looked like he had a clear strike on goal, Stuart Findlay got in front of his shot and blocked Erwin’s attempt.

Kilmarnock would then score their 3rd goal just 60 seconds later. A Chris Burke freekick was floated in to the box and found the head of Killie Striker Nicke Kabamba who managed to steer his headed effort across the line and secure all 3 points for the Ayrshire side.

The Staggies now move on to face Livingston at the Global Energy Stadium on Wednesday in the search for valuable Premiership points.

More News