Club News

MATCH REPORT Partick Thistle 3-2 Ross County (AET)

The Staggies the opportunity to make it to the quarter finals of this seasons Betfred League Cup after a 3-2 loss at Firhill after extra time. Goals from Blair Spittal and Harry Paton were not enough to see the Staggies through to tomorrows draw.


The 1st half was an even affair with both Partick Thistle and Ross County testing their respective goalkeepers. Joe Chalmers almost headed in to his own net were it not for the crossbar, before Ross Draper had a header cleared off the line at the other end. Ross Stewart was played in behind the Thistle back line but could only shoot wide before missing a great opportunity at the back post from a Marcus Fraser cross.


With an hour on the clock the Staggies took the lead in the tie. The ball was sent in the direction of Blair Spittal, and on the half-volley, from the edge of the box, the midfielder rifled an effort across Fox and in to the back of the net.


As both teams continued to spurn chances in the match Thistle would find a way back in to the tie with only minutes remaining. Shea Gordon played in Alex Jones on the right whose cross found the head of an unmarked Kenny Miller in the box who headed beyond Laidlaw and kept Thistle alive in the tie as we headed for extra time.


8 minutes in to extra time, Thistle took the lead in the match for the first time. Academy graduate James Penrice fired a freekick on the right-hand side beyond Laidlaw and sent the Partick Thistle fans in to ecstasy.


On the stroke of half time in extra time the Staggies managed to level the match. Neat play on the edge of the box saw Harry Paton run beyond one defender, beat another before calmly slotting his finish across Fox and in to the bottom right hand corner of the net.


With 7 minutes left in the match, the killer blow was dealt to the Staggies. Earlier scorer Penrice sent his corner in, Steven Saunders rose highest and managed to divert the ball towards the back post and beyond Laidlaw to secure a place in the Quarter Final draw for the Firhill men.

More News