Club News

MATCH REPORT Ross County 1-4 Celtic

Celtic came away from Dingwall with 3 points on a chilly Sunday in Dingwall. The win leaves Ross County 8th in the table ahead of a clash with Hibernian in Dingwall on Wednesday night.


The visitors took the lead after only 10 minutes. Keith Watson was adjudged to have fouled Lewis Morgan in the box with the referee pointing straight to the spot. Ryan Christie stepped up to take the penalty but Nathan Baxter saved it spectacularly to his right. Christie though, managed to follow up the rebound, hammering the ball past the grounded Baxter to put Neil Lennons men ahead.


Ross County came back in to the game relatively quickly and worked a good opening on 18 minutes. Richard Foster was found in the wide area by Josh Mullin but his cross was just behind an unmarked Lee Erwin in the box.


The Staggies would equalise just a couple of moments later. Josh Mullin curled a fantastic freekick in towards the back post where Ross Stewart was in-wait, unmarked. He needed no invitation to unleash an effort beyond Forster levelling the match and sending a shockwaves in to the large crowd of visiting support behind the goal.


County were almost dealt a big blow when midfielder Lewis Spence hit the deck in clear agony. Moving from side to side it looked like his studs had been caught in the ground forcing a painful strain. However Spence managed to get back to his feet and continue. Erwin, just seconds later produced some great footwork as he danced around 4 defenders before Chris Julien got inbetween Erwin and the ball as it went over the line for a goal kick.


With 7 minutes until half time the current Premiership Champions nicked ahead. Ryan Christie showed great movement as he slipped in behind the Ross County defence receiving a great pass and running through to slot past Baxter from just inside the box.


Just before the hour Celtic almost stretched their lead through Calum McGregor. The Scottish Internationalist was found with the ball on the edge of the box but his shot across goal flashed off the right-hand post. The follow up from Brown blazed over the stand.


Just 10 minutes on and the Champions would find themselves extending their advantage. A good low cross saw the ball laid off to Tom Rogic on the edge of the box. He took aim and watched in glory as his effort took a slight deflection on its way in to the back of the net.


The scoring finished with 73 minutes on the clock. Substitute Michael Johnston had just come on to the pitch before he drove from just inside the Staggies half passing 3 players and sending a low effort across Baxter and in to the bottom right hand corner.

Drama would unfold inside the last 10 minutes. A pass behind the Celtic back line was left untouched by Brian Graham, who was in an offside position, allowing Ross Stewart to get in and slot past Forster. However, the Referee adjudged Stewart to be offside without the linesman raising his flag. The Staggies then had another opportunity with 5 minutes remaining when Sean Kelly’s cross fell to Brian Graham at the near post but the strikers effort was held comfortably by Forster.


The Staggies will be looking to get back to winning ways on Wednesday night when they host Hibernian at the Global Energy Stadium, 7.45pm kick off.