Match Report: Hibernian v RCFC


John Hughes clinched his first win as Ross County boss this evening as his side defeated his former club, Hibernian, 2-0 at Easter Road!

Goals from Harry Paton and ex-Hibs striker, Oli Shaw, helped County to their first league win since September and lifted them off the bottom of the Scottish Premiership.

After an uneventful opening 25 minutes, County capitalised on the first clear chance of the game through Harry Paton! Excellent hold up play from Oli Shaw preceded a clever ‘one-two’ with the Canadian who then watched his measured left-footed shot from the edge of the box nestle in the bottom left corner. Paton wheeled away in celebration as the midfielder clinched County’s first goal under new boss John Hughes.

Just 2 minutes later, County came close to doubling their lead. An Iain Vigurs corner broke to the edge of the box and bounced up nicely for a Stephen Kelly volley. The Rangers loanee arrowed his attempt towards goal before it was smartly pushed over the crossbar by Dillon Barnes.

12 minutes before the break, Hibs threatened with their first opportunity to equalise. Martin Boyle’s low cross from the right of the box was met by Christian Doidge who found space in the area, but the striker blazed his effort well over Ross Laidlaw’s goal.

The Staggies entered the break in the lead after an outstanding first half display, a position they had not found themselves in since they led Livingston at the Global Energy Stadium in early November.

In the 70th minute, Hibs were presented with a great chance to equalise. Joe Newell sent another sublime delivery into the box, this time from a free-kick, and found the head of Christian Doidge. However, the Welsh international could only send his headed effort wide of the left post.

5 minutes later, the Staggies grabbed a second to account for their faultless second-half performance. Jermaine Hylton did well to roll Paul Hanlon in the corner to the right of the box after receiving the ball on his chest from Keith Watson’s throw. The winger spun Hanlon and advanced into the box before cutting the ball back to ex-Hibee, Oli Shaw, who was waiting on the penalty spot to tap into an empty net.

Jack Ross’s side relentlessly probed the County defence in the final 15 minutes but failed to create another clear-cut chance to get themselves back in the game.

A truly outstanding performance from John Hughes’s side provided a much-needed victory and lifted the Staggies off the foot of the Scottish Premiership after Hamilton were held to a draw by St Johnstone.

Latest News

View All News >